PAWTUCKET, R.I. – Third-seeded Bridgewater State University and fifth-seeded Worcester State University were victorious on the opening day of the 2017 Little East Conference Championship Tournament Tuesday. Worcester State will take on top-seeded Rhode Island College in Thursday's semifinal round, while Bridgewater State will face second-seeded UMass Dartmouth.
FOR THE RECORD: The Bears improved to 11-5 for the season, while the Lancers improved to 9-5. The Beacons wrapped up the fall at 4-7, while the Panthers fell to 10-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED: Bridgewater State took a commanding 3-0 after sweeping the double competition to start the day, and needed to complete just two singles matches to secure the win. Freshman Olivia Sweeny (Taunton, Mass.) opened with a 6-0 win in the first set at No. 5 singles before senior Meghan Erickson (Hubbardston, Mass.) was forced to retire, while junior Rachel Tarantino (Mansfield, Mass.) was a 6-0, 6-0 winner over freshman Annie Fidelia (Stoneham, Mass.) at No. 6 singles to clinch the win for the Bears.
Worcester State led 2-1 following doubles play, with junior Nathalie Khafaga (Auburn, Mass.) and freshman Dominique Alves (Ludlow, Mass.) recording an 8-3 win at No. 1 and senior Alexis Silk (Greenfield, Mass.) and freshman Emma Collings (Marion, Mass.) teaming for an 8-3 win at No. 2. Freshmen Chloe Knapp (Jamestown, N.Y.) and Jenna Sundquist (Monument Beach, Mass.) won a tightly contested 9-8 decision at No. 3 for host Plymouth State.
The Lancers lead grew to 4-2 following a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles for Khafaga and a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles for Alves. Senor Rachel Green (Worcester, Mass.) then closed out a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sundquist at No. 5 singles for the 5-2 final.
No. 3 BRIDGEWATER STATE 5, No. 6 UMASS BOSTON 0
1. Alisha Silva/Amanda Strickland (BSU) def. Kristy Garcia/Katie Gauthier (UMBWT) 8-5
2. Bojana Roman/Alison Scagnelli (BSU) def. Martina Daelli/Kathleen Conroy (UMBWT) 8-4
3. Angelique Gray/Rachel Tarantino (BSU) def. Meghan Erickson/Annie Fidelia (UMBWT) 8-1
1. Alisha Silva (BSU) vs. Kristy Garcia (UMBWT) 1-6, 0-1 (unfinished)
2. Bojana Roman (BSU) vs. Martina Daelli (UMBWT) 6-1, 3-0 (unfinished)
3. Alison Scagnelli (BSU) vs. Kathleen Conroy (UMBWT) 6-2 (unfinished)
4. Amanda Strickland (BSU) vs. Katie Gauthier (UMBWT) 6-1, 0-1 (unfinished)
5. Olivia Sweeney (BSU) def. Meghan Erickson (UMBWT) 6-0, retired
6. Rachel Tarantino (BSU) def. Annie Fidelia (UMBWT) 6-0, 6-0
No. 5 WORCESTER STATE 5, No. 4 PLYMOUTH STATE 2
1. Nathalie Khafaga/Dominique Alves (WOR) def. Sage Winter/Irene Kigugu (PSU) 8-3
2. Alexis Silk/Emma Collings (WOR) def. Maggie McCarthy/Megan Wheeler (PSU) 8-3
3. Jenna Sundquist/Chloe Knapp (PSU) def. Rachel Green/Marisa Lombardi (WOR) 9-8 (7-4)
1. Sage Winter (PSU) def. Lauren Taylor (WOR) 6-3, 4-4 (unfinished)
2. Nathalie Khafaga (WOR) def. Maggie McCarthy (PSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Alexis Silk (WOR) def. Irene Kigugu (PSU) 6-2, 5-1 (unfinished)
4. Dominique Alves (WOR) def. Kerstin Venincasa (PSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Rachel Green (WOR) def. Jenna Sundquist (PSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Chloe Knapp (PSU) def. Monika Mularski (WOR) 6-2, 6-3
2017 LEC Championship Tournament Schedule
First Round – Tuesday, October 17
Match 1: No. 3 Bridgewater State 5, No. 6 UMass Boston 0
Match 2: No. 5 Worcester State 5, No. 4 Plymouth State 2
Semifinal Round – Thursday, October 19
Match 3: No. 1 Rhode Island College vs. No. 5 Worcester State
Match 4: No. 2 UMass Dartmouth vs. No. 3 Bridgewater State
Championship Round – October 21
Match 3 Winner vs. Match 4 Winner
NOTE: All matches hosted at higher seed