Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

WSOC | Western Connecticut Looking to Repeat as LEC Champions

WSOC | Western Connecticut Looking to Repeat as LEC Champions

Complete LEC Women's Soccer Tournament Bracket

(Courtesy of Keene State Athletics)

KEENE, N.H. - The Colonials' sophomore Paige Martin scored with 3:20 remaining in the first overtime period to lift third-seeded Western Connecticut to a 2-1 victory over the second-seeded Keene State women's soccer program on Thursday evening at Owl Athletic Complex in a Little East Conference (LEC) Semifinal matchup. 


  • Keene State: 14-6-0, 6-1-0 LEC
  • Western Connecticut State: 14-5-2, 5-1-1 LEC

Up Next 

  • With the win, the Colonials advance to the LEC title match on November 5th, hosted by the top seeded Eastern Connecticut State. The defending champion Western Connecticut State will look to earn back-to-back titles, while the regular season champion Eastern Connecticut State will aim to earn their fifth title overall. The winner of the LEC final will earn a bid to the NCAA tournament. 
  • With the loss, the Owls' 2016 campaign comes to a close, despite owning a 9-1 record at home. 

Tale of the Tape 

  • Keene State held an advantage of 20-13 in shots over Western Connecticut State, while also earning six corner kicks to the the Colonials' two. 
  • Western Connecticut narrowly outshot Keene State in the second stanza, 8-7, but neither team could find the back of the net over the second 45 minutes. 
  • Between the pipies, Danielle Warhall made six saves for the Owls, while Serena Gunter picked up seven for the Colonials. 

First Half Highlights 

  • Both teams came out firing, as Keene State was able to force a corner kick in the second minute that was cleared, but led to a corner kick just a minute later for Western Connecticut State. The Colonials were able to remain in possession after the service, as Autumn Sorice put a shot on frame in the fourth minute that was saved by Warhall. 
  • In the 12th minute, the Owls' Katie Silegy sent a corner kick to that left side of the field and to the feet of Kali Santino, as the midfielder's opportunity went just wide. Santino and Silegy connected again two minutes later, but the header shot went wide. 
  • Keene State took their fifth corner kick of the game in the 18th minute, as the ball from Silegy went high into the right corner of the net, past the hands of Gunter and multiple players from both teams in the box. The goal was deemed a no-goal after a foul call in the box against the Owls. 
  • In the 31st minute, Western Connecticut State was able to get on the board first, after the Colonials were awarded a free kick. Celia DeVoe sent the ball into the box, and after a bit of a bobble, Lucy Daniels struck a ball that tucked under the cross bar to put Western Connecticut State up, 1-0.
  • Keene State did not stay silent long, as Sierra Trzepacz collected a ball in the offensive third on the right side. The senior captain dribbled quickly and sent a ball sailing past Gunter into the left side of the goal to even the score at 1-1 in the 37th minute.  
  • The teams remained locked in for the final minutes of the half, but shot attempts by the Owls' Chloe Loos and the Colonials' Stacey Weinburg were both saved. 

Second Half Highlights 

  • The second half began just as physical as the first, as each team played strong defense. In the 52nd minute, Western Connecticut State was awarded another free kick, but the chance was easily picked up by Warhall. 
  • The Owls increased the pressure in the 60th minute, as a pass from the right side made its way to Taylor Farland, who sent the pass over one more to the left, as Kali Santino collected the ball and ripped off a shot, that sailed just wide of the right post. 
  • With less than 10 minutes remaining, Keene State saw an offensive push, after the Owls were given a free kick forty yard out. Farland sent a cross to the left post, which found Brittany Tolla, who forced a corner kick. 
  • In the remianing minutes of the half, the Owls kept possesion as shots from Santino and Silegy tested Gunter, but the sophomore made two key saves to keep the two teams even at one apiece and forcing an overtime period. 

Overtime Highlights 

  • The Owls came out offensively strong in the overtime minutes, as an push towards the goal in the 95th minute put the two goal scoring chances at the feet and head of Farland, but both shots went just wide. 
  • Although Keene State held possesion in the first five minutes of overtime, Western Connecticut State would not go away quietly, as the Colonials' surged up the field in the 96th minute Andrea DeVoe and Sorice pushed up the field. The Keene State defense was unable to clear a cross sent to Martin, as the sophomore collected the ball on the right side of the box and sent a shot to the low left corner, to give Western Connecticut State the edge with 3:20 remaining in the first overtime.