BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – Southern Maine laid claim to its fourth consecutive Little East Conference (LEC) men's outdoor track & field championship Saturday, edging out UMass Dartmouth by a single point. The Huskies totaled 145 points to the Corsairs' 144 points.
In terms of the New England Alliance (NEA) standings, UMass Dartmouth had the upper hand, finishing second only to host Bridgewater State (166 points) after totaling 108.5 points. Southern Maine was third in the NEA with 86 points, which was one better than Westfield State (85 points.)
The Huskies had just two individual champions - junior Drew Gamage (Sabattus, Maine) was victorious in the triple jump (14.15m) and freshman Cam Meier (Bowdoinham, Maine) came home first in the 5,000-meter run (15:52.71) - but totaled 20 scoring performances to edge out the Corsairs.
Southern Maine garnered five runner-up finishes. Sophomore Nick Harriman (Lisbon, Maine) combined with Meier to give USM a 1-2 finish in the 5,000 taking second (15:57.58). Classmate Donivyn Harms (Westbrook, Maine) finished second in the 400 meters (50.54), junior Hany Ramadan (Portland, Maine) was runner-up in the 800 meters (1:56.26), and freshman Chandler Vincent (Pownal, Maine) was second in the 10,000 meters (33:43.81).
INDIVIDUAL LEC CHAMPIONS
- Keene State junior Jared Hannon (Pelham, N.H.) won the long jump with his leap of 7.06 meters.
- Keene State junior Ben MacDonald (Sudbury, Mass.) was first to finish in the 10,000-meter run, finishing in 32:42.92.
- UMass Boston freshman Virgil Harrell III (Hamden, Conn.) won the LEC title in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 56.61 seconds.
- UMass Boston senior Dominic Nda (Pittsfield, Mass.) won the 100-meter dash in 10.84 seconds.
- UMass Boston sophomore Stefan Powell crossed the line first in the 200-meter dash in 22.29 seconds.
- UMass Dartmouth junior Joao Baptista (Medford, Mass.) won the high jump after clearing 1.98 meters.
- UMass Dartmouth sophomore Jordan Entwistle (Northborough, Mass.) sent new LEW and Aliance records in the javelin with his winning throw of 66.44 meters.
- UMass Dartmouth senior Jared Louf-Woods (Salem, Mass.) won the LEC and Alliance titles in the shot put (16.81m) and hammer (57.99m), setting new meet record in the shot put.
- UMass Dartmouth sophomore George Papoulis (Haverhill, Mass.) was victorious in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:53.88.
- UMass Dartmouth junior John Sagun (Brockton, Mass.) took top honors in the discus with his throw of 45.86 meters.
- Plymouth State junior Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) captured the gold medal in the 1,500-meer run in 3:56.44.
- Plymouth State junior Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.) broke the tape first in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a LEC and Alliance-record time of 9:17.26.
- Plymouth State sophomore Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.) cleared 4.40 meters to win the pole vault.
- Plymouth State freshman Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) placed first in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.11 seconds.
- Rhode Island College junior Destin Bibemi (Providence, R.I) won the 400-meter dash in 50.23 seconds.