BOSTON, Mass. - The godfather of UMass Boston men's basketball Charlie Titus has been named to the New England Basketball Hall of Fame List of Legends. The group, which features some of the greatest influencers and coaches in the history of New England basketball will be honored on June 7 as part of the 2019 New England Basketball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.
Coach Titus along with his fellow Legends will be recognized for their admirable societal contributions as important mentors to countless student-athletes and others. This list of Legends are all members of the New England Basketball Hall of Fame.
As the founder of UMass Boston Athletics, Titus emerged as one of the most influential coaches in all of college basketball during his 40 seasons on the bench. Having earned a place in multiple college and regional Hall of Fames, Titus was most recently named the Larry Smith Award honoree by Small College Basketball.
The New England Basketball Hall of Fame will host a series of induction, recognition and cultural activities on June 7th and 8th at the St. John's High (Shrewsbury, MA) Theatre.
The June 7th program will commence with an afternoon photo op for honorees at the Bob Cousy statue on the Holy Cross campus. The program will then move to the St. John's High Theatre for special recognition of a group of "Legends," retired coaches, athletic administrators and educators. All "Legends" are individuals who have previously been inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame and whose outstanding careers are marked by exceptional mentorship. (List below).
The special June 7th cultural activity will be the performance of the acclaimed A. R. Gurney play "Love Letters". The play will feature renowned stage actor Marc Carver, whose film credits include "Black Mass".
June 8th activities will include the induction of the 2019 class, a Legends panel on mentoring, and the performance of Act I of the new play "The Enlightened Man". The play involves a lengthy letter exchange between a priest and an inmate whose bond is forged through their love of basketball and shared admiration for hoop legends Bob Cousy and Connie Hawkins.
THE LEGENDS: A REAL DREAM TEAM!
On June 7th, the New England Basketball Hall of Fame will recognize the following individuals for their admirable societal contributions as important mentors to countless student athletes and others. All of our Legends have previously been inducted into the New England Basketball
Hall of Fame.
- George Blaney (Stonehill, Dartmouth, Holy Cross, UConn)
- Tom Blackburn (Grafton High (MA), Worcester Academy)
- * Charlie Bibaud (Assumption Prep, St John's High (MA))
- Don Cushing (Bartlett High (MA), Worcester State)
- Vin Cullen (CCRI)
- * Bill Detrick (Central Connecticut)
- Jack "The Shot" Foley (Holy Cross, Worcester Public Schools)
- * Dick Falkenbush (Rice Memorial High School (VT), St. Michael's College )
- * VI Goodenow (Frontier Regional (MA))
- Bill Gibbons Jr. (Holy Cross)
- Skip Karam (Durfee High (MA))
- Andy Laska (Worcester Academy, Assumption College)
- Phil Moresi (Framingham South (MA), Bates, WPI)
- Patricia Meiser (UConn, University of Hartford)
- Pamela Moffo (Conard High (CT))
- Jim Nelson (Suffolk University)
- Paul Procopio (St. Joseph's High (MA))
- Judge Paul Perachi (St. Joseph's High)
- Gary Palladino (St. Paul's High (CT), University of Hartford, Notre Dame High (CT))
- Togo Palazzi (St. Mary's High (MA), Holy Cross)
- Ron Perry (Catholic Memorial High (MA), Holy Cross)
- Jere Quinn (St Thomas More (CT))
- Dick Quinn (Williams College)
- Dee Rowe (Worcester Academy, UConn)
- Russ Reilly (Bates, Middlebury)
- * Brenda Reilly (Central Connecticut)
- Barbara Stevens (Clark, Bentley)
- Kathy Delaney Smith (Westwood High, MA), Harvard)
- Charlie Titus (UMass Boston)
- Joe Tonelli (Notre Dame High (CT))
- Frank "Porky" Vieira (University of New Haven)
- Dick Whitmore (Colby College)
- George Wigton (UConn, Bates)
- Christina Wielgus (Dartmouth)
- Ann Ash Zelesky (St. Peter Marian High (MA), Holy Cross)
More information about this year's induction ceremony will be made available online in the near future.